Upcycle challenge: plaid coins

  • Started: February 2012
  • Finished: April 2012
  • Size: about 50″ x 60″

The Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild had an Earth day “upcycle” challenge, where we were to make something from clothes or other non-quilting fabrics. I chose men’s shirts, since I already had a stash of them. I cut them all up into equal width but random height bricks, and assembled them into strips. I believe one name for this pattern is “Chinese coins”. The white sashing and navy binding are from sheets.

The backing is cobbled together from flannel plaid shirts, which was a fun challenge as it is full of inset seams and odd joinings. I gave this quilt to my middle son and he used it for a couple of years until he outgrew it.