So, today has been somewhat eventful. I have been working on the “bad” quilt. I had finished piecing the top three years ago, but then stopped because I hated the way the fabrics looked together. I finally got around to figuring out what to do about it. I decided to “paint” fabric dye onto the offending olive drab fabric.
I used Procion dyes at a concentration of about 1/8 tsp. dye per cup of water. I added 1 Tbsp. urea to slow the drying and intensify the colors. I also added about 1/2 tsp. or so of soda ash. It took four coats, but the result was worth it, I think. What a huge difference–the photos don’t really show how big of a change it is. It transformed the top from something I was probably never even going to finish into something I am eager to finish and use–I really like it. I now have it basted to the backing and am going to try to finish quilting and binding it soon.